Monday, April 8, 2013

Veggies, veggies and more veggies!

One of the reasons I have trouble cooking is because I never seem to put together what most people think of as a meal.

I am a very plain eater. Some would call it picky. I am one of those crazies that does not like when her food touches. Yup, that kind of picky. I also have this tendency to eat one food at a time and call it a meal. I will eat a hard boiled egg and call it lunch. A bowl of soup is dinner. Heck, sometimes a bowl of cereal is dinner.

My boyfriend is one of those people that wants to eat in courses. A salad, some bread, a starch, a vegetable and meat. Without all of these components its just a snack. We're not really compatible dinner partners.

So while learning to cook edible chicken, I have also been working on putting (kinda) complete meals together.

I have found that the easiest, fastest and tastiest way to make a side dish is to cut up a veggie and stick it in the oven.

It is amazing to me that cooking something to the very brink of being burned yields such scrumptious results!

Broccoli is the most popular option for us, but I have also done this with cauliflower, asparagus, zucchini and corn.

There really is no recipe needed and cook times are not predictable either. I usually just cut up the veggie into bite-sized pieces, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and then mix it up with my hands to evenly coat. Then I stick the veggie in the oven at the same temperature that I am cooking the meat and let it go until its almost burned. So easy and so good!






No comments:

Post a Comment