Saturday, April 13, 2013

Whole Foods Friday

I have made a real effort to make more of our meal and not eat out so much. There are a few days a week however I am too busy to cook. Friday is one of these days. I did not want to resort to spending $50 to go to Olive Garden or order Chinese and I did not want to succumb to the empty calories of a fast food run. So I have declared Friday to be Whole Foods Friday.

Whole Foods is one of my favorite places. I can't even imagine how much more fun it is for people who love to cook! There are rows and rows of colorful veggies, ripe fruit, fresh fish and gluten free baked goods.They also have a really beautiful selection of half prepared food. Burgers with cheese and jalapeƱo, cream cheese and chive stuffed chicken and dill marinated salmon.

I decided that we have eaten a lot of chicken since I began cooking so I decided to spring for some fish. I picked out a crab stuffed sole filet. I also grabbed some corn. I was pleasantly surprised at my $25 dollar total. Had we eaten out, this would have been a far costlier meal.

I cooked the sole as the fishmonger advised, 350 degrees for 12 minutes, but I felt that it needed a bit more time. This is usually where I get in trouble with my cooking. I don't trust the recipe and I make adjustments and ruin things. I decided that undercooked fish is nothing to mess with and let it go a few minutes longer in the oven. I kept a close eye on it and I pulled it out to see that my instinct was correct and the fish was now flakey, yet firm! Maybe I am getting better at this!

I was happy to find an option that is somewhere between going out and cooking from scratch. I will defiantly be making Whole Foods Friday a tradition!



No comments:

Post a Comment